1. Go with controversy. If you want your articles to land a good spot on the newspaper that you're writing for, you must strive to write something that is very controversial. For example, you can write about a senator who was caught doing something inappropriate. This is something that will surely make waves and this is something that will help you earn instant recognition in your field.
2. Do your homework. You can not write your newspaper articles based on hearsay. Do your job right and research your stories thoroughly. Check out reputable resources, interview people, and do anything to get the kind of data that you need. Ensure that you'll be able to offer your readers with complete and in-depth information.
3. Stick with facts. You can not afford to exaggerate the truth when writing for newspapers as this will surely tarnish your reputation. Stick with the truth and be on the safe side. If you're writing about something that is very controversial or those sensitive issues, make sure that you have ways to back up your claims.
4. Use the inverted pyramid technique. Increase your chances of getting your articles read by using the inverted pyramid technique. This simply means putting all the juiciest information on your lead paragraph. Your readers must be able to understand your stories even if they do not have the time to read your articles till the end.
5. Check your articles. Read your articles over and over again before you hand them over to your editor. Make sure that all your data are factual and that all the names you include in your articles are spelled right. Also, ensure that your content flow smoothly and that your grammar is perfect.