Boron is a trace element that occurs naturally in the human body (tissue, bones, and organs) and also in the earth. As recently as 1980, many uses of boron have come to light.
Research and studies have shown that boron is essential for optimum health, the absence of which can cause many health problems.
This article aims to educate people about the various uses of boron.
The 6 Medicinal Uses and Health Benefits of Boron
1. Builds Stronger Bones. Boron helps in the absorption of calcium and magnesium and thus helps to make the bones much stronger. Because boron is naturally present in our bones, adequate intake of boron is essential to maintain bone health. People who suffer from osteoporosis can benefit a lot from boron supplements. Osteoarthritis is another condition that can be treated with intake of boron.
2. Useful for Menopausal Women. When women reach menopause, their estrogen levels drop and there are many hormonal changes in their body. Because of these changes, they may experience many debilitating symptoms. Boron increases the effects of estrogen, and thus can be very useful in eliminating uncomfortable symptoms in postmenopausal women.
3. Boron as Boric Acid. As boric acid, boron is very useful as a dusting powder for various infections. Fungal and bacterial infections can be treated with applying boric acid to the affected areas. Uses of boron also include commercial mouthwashes.
4. Boron as Borax. In the form of borax solution, boron is useful in the treatment of eye infections and ulcers in the mouth.
5. Boron for Brain Health. Although boron is very useful in many ways, as is apparent from the above mentioned uses of boron, its main benefit lies in increasing brain health. A deficiency of boron has shown to result in impaired brain functioning and decreased cognitive performances. Boron is very useful in increasing memory, hand eye coordination, and manual dexterity. By increasing boron intake (not beyond the recommended levels), the brain function becomes stronger, which enhances alertness and cognitive performances.
6. Reduces Risk of Kidney Stones. Boron is very essential for proper cell membrane functioning and helps to regulate metabolic activity. Boron intake helps in the metabolism and efficient absorption of calcium and magnesium. Because of correct absorption of these minerals, the risk of kidney stones is decreased significantly.
Uses of Boron: 3 Essential Precautions
1. Optimum intake. Although there is no recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for boron intake, the optimum intake of boron is between 1mg and 10mg per day. At these levels, boron is very safe; anymore could result in boron toxicity.
2. Pregnancy. Pregnant women should refrain from taking any kind of boron supplements without consulting their doctors.
3. Borax and boric acid. Boron, in the form of borax and boric acid should not be taken orally, but are only for local application.
How To Choose A Boron Supplement
1. Chelated boron. Choose a boron supplement that contains boron in its chelated form. In the chelated form, boron is joined with other protein molecules, which makes it easier for the mineral to be absorbed and utilized by the human body.
2. Regulation. Mineral supplements are not regulated in the United States. Thus, to ensure that you are buying a boron supplement that was made with adequate quality control and using safe practices, you should buy only those boron products that are manufactured in accordance with pharmaceutical GMP standards.
3. Multi-nutrient formulas. Most mineral supplements contain more than one mineral. Many manufacturers do not formulate their supplements properly and use a combination of various minerals that do not interact properly with each other.
Because of this, the minerals are not absorbed by the body, but pass from it without benefiting you. To avoid this, choose a boron supplement that is scientifically formulated by qualified scientists only.
One of the best options is to choose a multivitamin that not only contains boron, but also other vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that all work together to give your body what it needs.